What ideologies are embedded in our modern tools and the legacies through which they were given form? And how might we imagine tools for different users that embody different values?
To be completed for today’s class:
- Mindy Seu, “The Pedagogy of Design in the Age of Computation,” Parsons, December 7, 2018 <video: stop at 12:40>.
- Hazel Meyer and Cait McKinney, “Tools for the Feminist Present,” No More Potlucks (2016).
- Ruth Schwartz Cowan, “Introduction: Housework and Its Tools” in More Work for Mother: The Ironies of Household Technology from the Open Hearth to the Microwave (Basic Books, 1983): 1-15 [remember: you’ll be prompted to enter login details for our copyrighted readings].
- Rose Eveleth, “Why the ‘Kitchen of the Future’ Always Fails Us,” Eater (September 15, 2015).
- If you’ve chosen to respond to today’s texts, please post your reading response by 11:59pm the night before class!